[gpsd-dev] refclock 28 gone wacky on me

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Fri Jun 10 00:08:08 UTC 2016

Yo Hal!

On Thu, 09 Jun 2016 17:04:08 -0700
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> > GPS module is a ST22, SkyTraq Venus 6 chipset.
> [ntpq -p shows PPS link off by a second.]
>
> It's a gpsd bug/quirk.  I've seen the same thing on a PC with a Venus
> chip connected via USB.
>
> I mentioned it a month or two ago but it fell through the cracks.

Can you send me the output of this when it fails:

# gpsd -nND 9 /dev/ttyXXX |& fgrep PPS > gpsd.log

That tells me which path I need to check for errors.

> gem at rellim.com said:
> > I suggest 38400 or higher.  9600 or less would cause this exact
> > symptom.
>
> I thought gpsd was supposed to do the right thing.

gpsd does not know how backedup the OS serial buffer is.  Just like
another buffer bloat problem.

> gem at rellim.com said:
> > Got a scope?
>
> I have one.  I'm seeing a 10 microsecond pulse.  One per second.

Well, then not the case at hand.  the current problem is two edges
per second, 500 milliSec apart.