Shippable ntp.conf files for the HOWTO

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Jun 9 23:21:15 UTC 2016

gem at rellim.com said:
>     # The iburst option tells ntpd to query the pool serers with bursts ins=
> tead
>     # of single requests.  This can yield better results to remote servers.

That part is just wrong.

iburst tells it to send the first few requests at 2 second intervals rather
than wait for the poll interval which defaults to 64 seconds.  That greatly
speeds up the time for ntpd to set the system time and start responding to
requests.

iburst does nothing to influence the way ntpd uses local or remote servers
after it is past the startup transient.

Stromeko at nexgo.de said:
> Just any one such line is enough.  It seems that chosing multiple pools from
> the same zone increases the chances of getting the same server assigned
> twice.

ntpd ignores duplicates.

He's using the pool via multiple server lines rather than a pool line, so he
gets one server per line unless they happen to be a duplicate.

gem at rellim.com said:
>> Just any one such line is enough.
> No, I get a lot of dead servers from the pool.  And with more than one there
> is achance one is not 2,000 miles away.

One line is enough if you say "pool" rather than "server".