Shippable ntp.conf files for the HOWTO

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Thu Jun 9 19:54:56 UTC 2016

Gary E. Miller writes:
>     # if you have no other local chimers to help NTP perform sanity checks
>     # then you can use some public chimers from the NTP public pool:
>     # http://www.pool.ntp.org/en/

Perhaps mention that there's a link to the continental zones on that page with
more links to the country zones on that continent.

>     # To use the pool servers uncomment the last four lines in this
>     section.

Just any one such line is enough.  It seems that chosing multiple pools
from the same zone increases the chances of getting the same server
assigned twice.

>     # The iburst option tells ntpd to query the pool serers with
>     bursts instead

s/serers/servers/

The iburst is supposed to only affect the initial contact to the
servers, contrary to the burst option (which IIRC is shunned by
NTPpool), which would use bursts on all contacts.

>     # of single requests.  This can yield better results to remote servers.
>     # Notice I use the 'us' country code servers, otherwise I might get one
>     # pool server from Ukraine and another from Singapore.  If you are
>     # not in the USA, then change the 'us' to your two letter country code.
>     #  server 0.us.pool.ntp.org iburst
>     #  server 1.us.pool.ntp.org iburst
>     #  server 2.us.pool.ntp.org iburst
>     #  server 3.us.pool.ntp.org iburst

I'd still drop the country code since someone not in the U.S. will just
uncomment the line(s) anyway.  The add a text to the effect that one
should use the local country or continental zone after looking it up via
the address given above.

Now, at least for the raspberryPi, the easier way of doing this is
keeping the ntpd package installed and configured, just lock the package
so it doesn't get altered during later updates.  Then install the ntpsec
binaries into /usr prefix, replacing the original ones.  That leaves the
original service files in place, which crucially will mobilize the NTP
server you get via DHCP from your provider and/or nearest router.  That
gives you a fallback without any further mucking and you can still add
pool servers or local peers later f you fancy that.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld: