Shippable ntp.conf files for the HOWTO

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Thu Jun 9 19:23:22 UTC 2016

Yo Achim!

On Thu, 09 Jun 2016 21:12:52 +0200
Achim Gratz <Stromeko at nexgo.de> wrote:

> Gary E. Miller writes:
> > Even if they have no pool operators in the country, they should at
> > least be able to use the country code to get the best possible.
>
> You can talk all day long about things that other people should do or
> teach users how to find out what those same people actually do
> instead.

Since we have some pool management lurking here I think a gentle
nudge to them is appropriate.

> Start with

Oh, I'm way beyond that, and not relevant to the current issue.  The
question here is what text to put in the plain howto ntp.conf.  Got any
specific suggestions?  Or are you just talking all day long? :-)

Here is my current best effort:

    # if you have no other local chimers to help NTP perform sanity checks
    # then you can use some public chimers from the NTP public pool:
    # http://www.pool.ntp.org/en/

    # To use the pool servers uncomment the last four lines in this section.
    # The iburst option tells ntpd to query the pool serers with bursts instead
    # of single requests.  This can yield better results to remote servers.
    # Notice I use the 'us' country code servers, otherwise I might get one
    # pool server from Ukraine and another from Singapore.  If you are
    # not in the USA, then change the 'us' to your two letter country code.
    #  server 0.us.pool.ntp.org iburst
    #  server 1.us.pool.ntp.org iburst
    #  server 2.us.pool.ntp.org iburst
    #  server 3.us.pool.ntp.org iburst

Got any specific text to improve it?  Or good enough?