Shippable ntp.conf files for the HOWTO

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Thu Jun 9 07:04:23 UTC 2016

Yo Eric!

On Thu, 9 Jun 2016 02:55:47 -0400
"Eric S. Raymond" <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:

> Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net>:

> > > There isn't one.  Eventually, for reasons related to the
> > > refclockd split, I know I'll have to fix that.
> >
> > There is one in the parser: includefile.  I haven't tried it.  I
> > remember scanning something recently (code or doc, not sure) that
> > said it went 5 levels deep.
>
> Hadn't spotted that. It will save me some work.

Wow, there it is, even documented:

     includefile includefile
             This command allows additional configuration commands to be
             included from a separate file.  Include files may be nested to a
             depth of five; upon reaching the end of any include file, command
             processing resumes in the previous configuration file.  This
             option is useful for sites that run ntpd(8) on multiple hosts,
             with (mostly) common options (e.g., a restriction list).

Thanks for that.

Much easier to comment out an include file, than all that same data
directly in the master config file.