Shippable ntp.conf files for the HOWTO

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Thu Jun 9 03:46:13 UTC 2016

> esr at thyrsus.com said:
> > I am attempting to assemble a gallery of working ntp.conf files that we can
> > ship with the HOWTO. My intentions include adding these to the NTP
> > documentation as tutorial examples.
>
> You are diving down another rathole.  Save that for another day.

I think the time is now. We wouldn't have been able to put off really
documenting this range of topics much longer, anyway.  Has to happen
before 1.0. And my experience is that knowledge-engineering
excavations of this kind seldom work out unless there at least some
pressure to ship in the background; it concentrates minds.

> For the HOWTO, you should focus on one that is appropriate for your goals.
> (Which goes back to figuring out what your goals are and telling us.)

Then you should assume I weant the simplest possible, minimal-care,
fire-and-forget configuration the most.  I was hoping you would also write
the refclocks 20+22 one.

> What are you using for ntp.conf on your test setups?  Does it work?

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/stratum-1-microserver-howto/ntp.conf

It works.

> I think you should do two things.  One is to relax the "good" part and live
> with what you get from the pool.  The other is to set things up with a
> comment (and URL for the pool page) with directions about editing the country
> code so you get better than horrible.

I'm thinking about having clockmaker do that edit.  I think it's possible.