Shippable ntp.conf files for the HOWTO

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Jun 8 22:29:20 UTC 2016

esr at thyrsus.com said:
> I am attempting to assemble a gallery of working ntp.conf files that we can
> ship with the HOWTO. My intentions include adding these to the NTP
> documentation as tutorial examples.

You are diving down another rathole.  Save that for another day.

For the HOWTO, you should focus on one that is appropriate for your goals.
(Which goes back to figuring out what your goals are and telling us.)

What are you using for ntp.conf on your test setups?  Does it work?

> uses gpsd via the SHM channel and IPs for three public timeservers.  I'm
> told the latter is bad practice and should be got rid of; I want someone
> wuth operational experience to show me (and

There are 2 reasons not to wire in IP Addresses of public servers, both
important.

The first is that it sets a bad example of policy.  Some chain of idiots will
copy them and we will end up with another example for the ntp-abuse wiki
collection.  The main problem is that you lose control.  There is nothing you
can do to recall that sort of info - as compared to if you distribute it via
DNS where you can change it.  (Then you have to worry about DNS abuse, but
those are your servers.)

The other problem is that it won't work well.  You can't pick 3 servers that
will be good even if you restrict the users to being in the US.  With sites
outside the US it goes from not good to probably horrible.

I think you should do two things.  One is to relax the "good" part and live
with what you get from the pool.  The other is to set things up with a
comment (and URL for the pool page) with directions about editing the country
code so you get better than horrible.