Logfile permissions and ntp group

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Jun 7 23:51:05 UTC 2016

gem at rellim.com said:
> logrotate does not make files, it restarts ntpd, so ntpd can make the new
> file.   Which has all the problems of restarting ntpd.

The logrotate I'm familiar with has the option to make the new file after
renaming the old one.  (I may be confused by the netbsd/freebsd version which
has a different name.)

It doesn't restart the target, but sends it a SIGHUP.  That currently kills
ntpd.

I've been down most of this.  There are a few other things you can do on a
SIGHUP.  The obvious one is check for a new leap file so you can test a new
manually installed leap file rather than wait for the polling-every-N-hours
to catch it.  I think there is another one, but I don't remember it.

If people think this is important, I'll put it higher on my list.  (But
discussions like this seem like a full time job.)