VERSION string, support tangle

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Jun 7 06:02:16 UTC 2016

We had a discussion several months ago, but I don't think we actually decided
what to do.

The current scheme is broken because I can't easily tell a pre-release
in-development version from the released version.

I know of two ways to fix that.  One is to put a suffix on the in-progress
versions.  So instead of 0.9.4 we would have something like 0.9.4x  Another
approach is to use the odd/even numbers: even are releases, odd are
development.

I vote for odd/even.

------

We also have to leave room in the version number space for patching released
versions.

That gets back to what is a release and what does support mean?  I think we
want big releases and little ones.  What are the right words for big and
little?

Big releases are supported for a while.  A while is ballpark of a year.
Support means we provide security fixes and possibly fixes to other bugs
without reasonable work arounds.  In particular, we try to avoid user visible
changes.

There may be long term support for selected big releases, say 5 years.  The
idea is to support distros that provide long term support without spending
too much effort maintaining versions that aren't used.

I think that means that a big release should be bumping the VERSION string
twice, For example, from 1.5.13 to 1.6.0, then adding the tag, then bumping
it again to 1.7.0