My pre-1.0 wishlist

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Sun Jun 5 05:28:47 UTC 2016

Achim Gratz <Stromeko at nexgo.de>:
> Eric S. Raymond writes:
> > Agreed, it would. But if we've verified function with anything outside
> > {20,22,28,46} I sure don't know about it.
>
> I can add driver 8 mode 5 & mode 133 to that list.  For whatever reason
> the PPS mode actually seems to work better; or at least in the peer list
> the PPS lock is quite stable, whereas the original ntpd would lose it
> quite often (dropping from "o" to "*").

That's interesting. It seems like my code excisions accidentally fixed a
bug, but I don't have any idea how it happened.

> There are a few differences in how ntpq works and some of the things it
> outputs, most notably multiple "-c" commands don't seem to work.  The
> original ntpq processes them in order given on the command line.

Congratulations, you just identified iatrogenic bug #4. Two of the others
were in argument processing as well; seems I dropped a few stitches when I
was ripping out autogen, the over-complicated framework code that Classic uses
for command-argument processing.

I've tested and pushed a fix. The -c option should work as you expect now.

Please do not hesitate to report any other variances.