Removing the worst cruft

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Jul 24 04:44:02 UTC 2016

fallenpegasus at gmail.com said:
> What I am wishing for, would be for someone to write a standalone in its own
> demon process IRIG driver, that then speaks GPSD or SHM to NTPsec. But
> testing such a beast would be specialized task.

I think things are much more complicated than it seems.  That doesn't
actually solve any problems, just pushes them over where they aren't visible
unless you go looking for them.

It requires a public API and all the version support/coordination problems.
We should be trying to make life simpler for sysadmins, not more complicated.

That isn't to say that cleaning up the refclock interface isn't a good idea,
just that "for someone to write..." is probably going to to cause more
troubles that it solves.  This area needs some serious thought before we
start writing code.