Removing the worst cruft

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Sun Jul 24 04:26:50 UTC 2016

Gary E. Miller <gem at rellim.com>:
> On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 23:10:45 -0400
> "Eric S. Raymond" <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:
>
> > And, asnyway, I don't think you're describing a requirement for NTP to
> > *take in* IRIG as a primary clock source, either. Why do that?  If the
> > IRIG sync box has any kind of digital output, even something as simple
> > as a one-wire 1PPS export, you run any NTP you want to be downstream
> > of the master sync clock from that rather than the IRIG.
>
> I don't know why, or if their are better ways, I'm just saying people
> do.  Anyone in broadcast or film media has IRIG servers they use, and
> they want time from them.  Far more commonly than I imagined until
> recently.  Several commercial NTP products do it, we wantt them to
> convert from NP Classic to NTPsec.

Yes.  But there's still the issue that the IRIG driver I removed was
designed to handle analog input via an obsolete class of sound card.

Even supposing they want to pass IRIG to NTPsec, it is quite unlikely
that the driver would do the job. And if it somehow did, 500us resolution
wouldn't be good enough for what they want.  Why even try when 1PPS
outout from the sync box would give two orders of magnitude better
precision?