Removing the worst cruft

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Sun Jul 24 03:39:01 UTC 2016

Yo Eric!

On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 23:10:45 -0400
"Eric S. Raymond" <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:

> And, asnyway, I don't think you're describing a requirement for NTP to
> *take in* IRIG as a primary clock source, either. Why do that?  If the
> IRIG sync box has any kind of digital output, even something as simple
> as a one-wire 1PPS export, you run any NTP you want to be downstream
> of the master sync clock from that rather than the IRIG.

I don't know why, or if their are better ways, I'm just saying people
do.  Anyone in broadcast or film media has IRIG servers they use, and
they want time from them.  Far more commonly than I imagined until
recently.  Several commercial NTP products do it, we wantt them to
convert from NP Classic to NTPsec.

Right?