question about upgrading from Classic to NTPsec (packaging issue)

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Jul 4 09:10:47 UTC 2016

JDB at systemsartisans.com said:
>     I am in the process of trying to create an RPM package from the repo's
> current head.  Given that I would expect this to be used by sysadmins, etc.
> who might already have installed the Classic version (very possibly from
> their distro's package sources), how would you all suggest I treat the
> presence of a ''conflicting'' version?  Save the config files, and overwrite/
> remove all the old executables?  Move everything aside, and put our entire
> "best practices" package in place??  Ask for manual intervention???  Halt,
> catch fire, burn it all to the ground?  ;)

So far, the config files are compatible so it makes sense to leave the old
one alone if it has been edited.  (The admin might have picked some good
servers or setup logging.)

If there is a conflict, my suggestion would be to rename the old stuff to
classic-xxx and install the new stuff as ntpsec-xxx and setup links and
provide a script to swing the links.  Or something like that.  There probably
needs to be a script to uninstall the classic version and undo the links.

Where would you document what happened and/or how to switch back?