memory locking

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Sun Jul 3 03:45:32 UTC 2016

> ntpd can take a lot of memory if you collect the statistics for who is
> talking to you on a busy machine, for example a pool server. It depends on
> how busy and how long you want to keep the data.
>
> Is there any way to turn that off?
>
> I don't see any mention in the documentation.  Where should that go?

I'm not sure what the referent of "that" is. The statistics-gathering I've seen
seems to be all about writing line-at-a-time records to various stats files;
I can't see that generating a lot of memory pressure.

If there's somewhere in the code that is allocating memory proportional
to the size of saved statistics, yes that could be a problem.  Do you
have some specific case in mind?