Replay progress report

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Thu Jan 7 11:31:14 UTC 2016

> We should start a collection of debugging routines to print out things like
> the list of peers.  The idea is to be able to call it from gdb.  In this
> case, you would have to run your test case in non-replay mode to see what it
> should look like, then compare with what it says when replay doesn't work.

This is *exactly* what I am working on. Or, rather, was working on before
I got interrupted by urgent GPSD bug reports and concluded I needed to ship
a release. I expect to be back on NTPsec later today.

> > Any time call that is in pure I/O is not captured, precisely in order to
> > avoid problems on replay.
>
> What does "pure I/O" mean?

The part of the main select that replay bypasses - that isn't receive() or
the intercepted functions beneath it.  Corresponds closely to what's
in ntp_io.c.