recurring "standup"

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Feb 4 11:31:08 UTC 2016

fallenpegasus at gmail.com said:
> What have you all worked on in the past couple of weeks, what successes and
> frustrations have you had, and what do you see yourself working on over this
> next week?

I've been poking around with shared key crypto and various ways of getting
connected to a server.  A lot of ways to establish a connection default to
requiring crypto.  Everything I tried worked, but it often took me a while to
figure it out.

The ntpq peers command could be tweaked to tell you how a "peer" got setup.
That would be a minor incompatibility.  We might be able to eliminate some of
the modes.  Mumble, they probably don't cost much.  I should try to document
all the modes in one place.  That would be easier after ntpq was "fixed" to
help.

ntpq uses ^C to bail out of the current command.  The mrulist command is two
passes, the first collects data and the second prints it out.  (The order may
change while the data is being collected.)  ^C is supposed to stop collecting
and print out what it has collected.  Another ^C is supposed to stop
printing.  I looked into porting the fix from NTP Classic, but it seemed
unreasonably complicated.  I tried the obvious code.  It didn't work.
Eventually, I tracked the problem back to somebody masking SIGINT.  It's
tangled with setjmp/longjmp and/or what's being jmp-ed out of.  siglongjum
works as expected.  I haven't found any documentation of the need to do that.
 At that point, I got sidetracked.  I think I can fix the code not to use
longjmp, but that will probably take a while.  I'll have to find out where
the people who work on longjmp and/or getaddrinfo hang out and/or try it on
other OSes/distros.

--------

The man pages are not getting installed where my man command is looking.  Are
we installing them in the wrong place or do I need to tell my man command to
look where we put them?  We need to document this.  We probably have the same
issue with executables, but I fixed that ages ago so I'm not noticing any
troubles.

I may have blundered into a bug in ntpd's startup logic.  I think it's
stepping the time when the first server responds rather than waiting to hear
from a few more servers.