What is timepps.h used for?

Sanjeev Gupta ghane0 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 08:38:35 UTC 2016

On Sat, Dec 24, 2016 at 3:44 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> You can use the PPS driver.  That requires timepps.h to build and a few
> kernel modules (or the equivalent option built into the kernel): pps_core
> and
> pps_ldisc
>
> You can let the kernel do all the work.  That's flag3 on the PPS driver.
> It
> works significantly better, but requires building your own kernel.  It
> needs
> the CONFIG_NTP_PPS option.  That needs not NoHZ and most distros ship
> kernels
> with NoHZ.

(If this is documented so clearly somewhere, please point me there.  Else I
will summarise and add to the gpsd and ntpsec docs later).

Since timepps.h was, according to Linux Kernel documentation, supposed to
be in the kernel tree, and is not there now, and the pps-test distribution
which has it has not been touched for years, can I assume that your third
option (above) is preferred?

I am trying to pin down why I would use timepps.h, ever.  Actually, not
ever, but usually.

--
Sanjeev Gupta
+65 98551208     http://www.linkedin.com/in/ghane