ntpq update

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Thu Dec 22 23:29:27 UTC 2016

> I implemented the mru sort=addr

Thanks.

> I fixed the ^C during collection.  Only a few lines.
> (Plan B was to mask the signal.  There doesn't seem to be any way to do that
> from Python.)

Hm.  You're right, there's no sigmask in Python 2. I never noticed that before.

Python 3 has it.

> Minor quirks:
>
> The frags= and limit= on the mru command are only used for the first batch.
> I'd like them to stick.

There's a computation of those for second and later span requests
that I transcribed from the C, down around line 1287 in packet.py.  I'm
very reluctant to mess with it; it's at the far end of some logic that
I don't understand that seems to be trying to adapt to network conditions
or server errors or *something*.

> The recent= gets included on the request for the second batch.  The server
> seems to do what we want if it gets that and also gets where-to-start info,
> but we should clean that up.

I just have.  *That* part I understood.

> Major bugs:
>
> The low level packet processing and/or retransmission stuff is broken.  I
> haven't investigated much.  I've had plenty of other things to work on.  The
> grab-everything case works on localhost so I can test the case I was
> interested in.
>
> One symptom is confusion when it gets an old (leftover from ^C) packet as a
> response when the next mru command asks for a nonce.  I don't know why the
> sequence number filter doesn't catch that.  We should probably flush the
> input when starting a command.

The sequence number check in the client is the sort of detail that is easy
to fluff even in a careful translation.  I wouldn't be overly surprised if I'd
dropped a stitch there. Looking...

The case you describe should fail both the opcode and sequence checks,
down around line 104.  If you turn on debug, do you get the sequence
mismatch message?

> Memory usage:

OK, that's ridiculous.

Can I have your code for reporting memory usage? I have two ideas for
reducing it.  I want to make sure we're looking at the same numbers.