showall - peers display

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Dec 19 09:28:08 UTC 2016

There is a showall parameter to the worker printout code for the peers
display in ntpq and ntpmon.

ntpmon has the s keyboard command to toggle it.  ntpq has lpeers and
lassociations.

Short version: I vote we nuke it - general cruft reduction.

Long version:

I've never found a good use for it.  I have been confused because peers hid
info that I was looking for.

Nuking it will have subtle changes in the UI.  We can leave the old ntpq
commands around as aliases, but I'd vote for removing them.

I just set the default in ntpmon to True.
I hacked peers and assoc in ntpq to use True which makes them like lpeers and
lassoc.  There are also lopeers and lpassoc.

I don't know how to setup a test case.  I think the problem I was chasing
ages ago was pool servers and DNS.  That was a long time ago before the DNS
path inntpd did decent logging.

The main problem is that the interesting case doesn't happen often enough to
keep the idea alive in our collective consciousness.  If you know what to
look for, you can find subtle differences in the documentation.  I haven't
found a good description of which slots get skipped.