ntpmon now has some keystroke commands

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Tue Dec 13 19:36:39 UTC 2016

Yo Eric!

On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 14:30:26 -0500
"Eric S. Raymond" <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:

> > Some of the other commands are toggles.  It would be nice if these
> > were a three way toggle.  I like to just stab one key over and over
> > and see the data differentlly.  Not sure how that would work.
> > Maybe a toggles with p and o toggles with p?  Or get rid of a  and
> > o, keep p, and have p toggle though all three?
>
> All that is too much to remember.  I have just made the spacebar
> rotate through all three modes.

Love it.

> > Hmm, you may want to reconsider that.  I was instead expecting you
> > to keep those and add a 'one-shot' mode sort of like ntpq.  But not
> > a big deal...
>
> I had it working like that for a while.  The problem is that there is
> no way to satisfy all three of the following constraints:
>
> 1. ntpmon options have the same semantics as corresponding ntpq
> options 2. option letters are the same as the corresponding command
> keys 3. commands are natural mnemonics in English

I think that is over thinking it.  But I do see how a one-shot mode may
make no sense.

> The simplest way to get to a consistent UI design was to remove all
> command-line options.  Which is a good idea anyway - less to remember,
> and the command keystrokes cover the functionality.

The simplest yes, but is that best?  I agree with Achim: let the user
decide.  It is common in unix to alias commands so you get what you
want easily.  Some people will always want to see the associations first,
maybe only.  Others will prefer other things.  Unix is all about choice.