PPS undersampling

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Aug 23 23:13:04 UTC 2016

> Yeah, been looking at that.  Since ntpd is undersampling the PPS it can be
> either good, or real bad.  I'm tempted to get Eric to fix the bug first, but
> maybe I'll need to data so he sees the bug first.

I don't know of any ntpd bug in this area.  Do you have a test case?  Or data
from a buggy run?

There are/were glitches in some of the gpsd utilities.  I fixed one a long
time ago and I think you fixed one recently.  But they are using a different
mechanism.

Your mention of Nyquist on IRC a few days ago makes me think that you don't
understand this area or more likely are just grabbing a word in a related
area for a similar problem.

Nyquist refers to analog signals.  If your signal has a bandwidth of X Hz,
you need 2*X samples per second in order to be able to reconstruct the signal.

The PPS is not analog.  We are not trying to reconstruct a signal.  We are
trying to pass information across clock domains.  The equivalent of the
Nyquist rule is that you have to grab the data before it gets updated with
new data.  There is no factor of 2 in there.  Just "fast enough".

The gpsd code I fixed was doing something like:
  while true {
    if sampleready() then dosomething()
    sleep 1 second
  }
That is polling at slightly slower than 1 second.  If the PPS goes off every
second, that approach will occasionally miss a sample.  But the occasional
will be very small (unless your scheduler is very busy or your CPU is slow or
your dosomething does a lot of work).  Unless you look carefully it will be
hard to notice.  (But geeks do look carefully.)

The code in ntpd doesn't work that way.  It runs off a timer that signals and
resets itself.  That signal goes off every second, the same rate as the PPS.

If you are polling at a fixed rate from an unsynchronized clock, the "fast
enough" has to include the jitter on the data source and the jitter on the
scheduling clock.  If the PPS signal has 1 ms peak-peak of jitter, you would
have to poll every 999 ms.  If your scheduler adds 1 ms of jitter, you have
to ask it to run you every 998 ms.

But the ntpd clock is not unsynchronized.  It's running at exactly 1 second
per second in the long term.

ntpd doesn't do anything special about when it starts the timer.  So if you
are unlucky and you start ntpd so that it is near a PPS pulse when it sets
the timer, you might miss occasional samples.  It will be tough to reproduce
but there should be evidence in clockstats.

If we decide to fix this, the fix is not to sample twice as fast, but to make
sure the timer doesn't go off too close to the top of a second.  In the
meantime, we should collect data on the PPS jitter and/or scheduler jitter so
we can make an informed estimate of what "too close" will be.

Actually, any fix should wait for a bigger cleanup in this area.  We should
get rid of the current every-second timer unless some refclock needs it.
(battery power)  The PPS API has an optional wait/wakeup option.  We should
use that if available.  The timer stuff also covers when to transmit a
packet, but we should peek ahead and set the timeout on the select for as
long as possible.  But all that should wait until after TESTFRAME so we can
test it.