Wish list - hack to monitor a server

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Mon Aug 22 18:31:27 UTC 2016

Yo Hal!

On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 22:36:06 -0700
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> I'm thinking of something that will monitor a NTP server and send
> mail/SMS/whatever when it finds troubles.

I use Icinga2 (nagios fork) for that.  NTPsec prolly just needs to
document that existing usage.

> I can see two types of trouble.  One is when the server isn't
> responding. The other is that one or more of the upstream servers or
> refclocks it is using stops responding.

I can see us including a nagio/icinga2 plugin for that, but the
existing plugins have worked great for me for over a decade.

Here are the existing plugins:

/usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_ntp_peer
/usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_ntp_time

> There are lots of possible variations/options/parameters.

Yeah.  Here are the existing options.
spidey ntpsec # /usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_ntp_peer

Usage:
       [-j <warn>] [-k <crit>] [-v verbose]

spidey ntpsec # /usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_ntp_time

Usage:
/usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_ntp_time

> This should probably wait until Eric gets the python library ready
> for use under ntpq.  I mention it now because I thought of it and/or
> it might provide input to the requirements for that library.

Seems to me that's reinventing what is already a very sturday, well
trusted and well deployed wheel.

New bug:

    https://gitlab.com/NTPsec/ntpsec/issues/101