Possible abuse from fetching the leap second file

Kurt Roeckx kurt at roeckx.be
Mon Aug 15 20:59:16 UTC 2016

On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 01:26:31PM -0700, Hal Murray wrote:

> kurt at roeckx.be said:
> > However, I already get a /usr/share/zoneinfo/leap-seconds.list from the
> > tzdata package that updates the timezone information and I should probably
> > look into using that file to update things. Those files get regular updates.
> >  The tz at iana.org list has been notified, the git repository updated, there
> > just hans't been a release since.
>
> Thanks.  I didn't know it was getting distributed.  That looks like the way
> to go.
>
> You don't need to "update things".  Just point ntp.conf at that file.

With update things I was just thinking that I would need to add a
trigger when tzdata is update so I can either reload the config file
or restart ntpd, depending on what's needed to get it to check the
file.

In any case, I will never use a cron job in Debian for this, I
will use the one provided by tzdata.

Kurt