Possible abuse from fetching the leap second file

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Aug 15 20:40:31 UTC 2016

esr at thyrsus.com said:
> I've thought about this some more, and now I am in doubt that the general
> principle (don't use other peoples' resources without their permission)
> applies here.  I think we need to apply what tort law would call a
> reasonable-person test.

> Some kinds of public-facing offer of a resource clearly constitute an
> implied invitation to download it as needed.  Consider, for example, a web
> page.

I think you are just plain wrong.  The invitation to download a web page has
some expectations of reasonable use.  What's reasonable for an individual
trying to answer a question using google and following links is no longer
reasonable if it gets automated so that every box running ntp tries to
download a file on the same day.

I'm not a lawyer etc.  Consider a public drinking fountain.  That's not an
invitation to fill up your tanker truck to water your lawn.

Besides, as Kurt Roeckx has pointed out, there is a much much better way.
Just use the copy that gets distributed by the time zone package.  It's
already there on Debian and Ubuntu and Raspberian.