Testing..

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Nov 30 23:26:07 UTC 2015

dtpoirot at gmail.com said:
> Would there be any value in me running on 32 and 64, [Open|Free|Net]BSD
> ahead of you?

There are several things that would be helpful.

Just setting things up and building once would be a good check that our
directions are adequate.  There are two areas that probably need improvement.
 One is just the checklist of packages that need installing.  The other is
how to actually install them.  (Code to copy/paste is probably the best
approach and I didn't get that far.)

Until the buildbot gets NetBSD working, occasionally building the latest code
on NetBSD systems would be helpful.

The other area that would be helpful is actually running the code and keeping
an eye on things to make sure that it works as well as the version that gets
distributed with the OS.

Checking that ./waf install puts things in a sensible place would help too.
The man pages used to get installed in some strange place.  I don't know if
that has been fixed.

For FreeBSD, getting it running is as simple as adding
  ntpd_program="/usr/local/sbin/ntpd"
to /etc/rc.conf, probably right after the place where you put in
  ntpd_enable="YES"

On NetBSD, I edited /etc/rc.d/ntpd:
  # command="/usr/sbin/${name}"
  command="/usr/local/sbin/${name}"

On Fedora, I edited /usr/lib/systemd/system/ntpd.service:
  # ExecStart=/usr/sbin/ntpd -u ntp:ntp $OPTIONS
  ExecStart=/usr/local/sbin/ntpd -u ntp:ntp $OPTIONS

I'll work on some notes about what to look for.

------

I don't think anybody has tried it on OpenBSD yet.