Proposed 0.9.1 release objectives, and state of TESTFRAME

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Mon Nov 30 21:58:05 UTC 2015

I continue to be extremely pleased with the kinds of bug reports we're
getting - enough to establish that people are testing, but nothing
serious.  Notably, we've had no reports of either crashes or timeskeeping
anomalies.

The following is a proposal for review by our project manager: I think
we should target next Monday for 0.9.1, and our two release objectives
should be (a) All unit tests running, and (b) A feature-test-status-vs.
-platform matrix published on the website, so potential users can know
what they're getting into.

I made significant progress on the capture side of TESTFRAME over the
weekend; the intercept layer can now dump packet sends and reads of
both leapsecond and authkey files.  This brings it to intercepting
everything except packet receives and getaddrinfo calls.

Unfortunately, those last two are the hardest.  There's a great deal
of hair in the code around polling up packets from multiple UDP
interfaces; I'm going to have to thoroughly grok all that before I
know where to intervene.  The getaddrinfo stuff is tricky, too,
because it's threaded-asynchronous.

I feel like I need a pith helmet and a bunch of askaris...