ntpsec: reference driver 38/hopf 6021

Martin Kotzan m-ntp at kotzan.net
Thu Nov 26 14:23:25 UTC 2015

On 2015-11-26 14:37, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> (Copied to the ntpsec devel list.)
>
> Martin Kotzan <m-ntp at kotzan.net>:
>> I'd like to holler about the planned removal of driver type 38 (Hopf
>> 6021
>> serial).
>>
>> This driver is still needed by current Hopf clocks connected via
>> serial
>> connection, so the "6021" part is probably a misnomer.
> [...]
>
> Should we change the device name to just "Hopf serial"? What models
> other
> than the 6021 does this cover?

"Hopf serial" would be more more fitting for NTP, but these clocks can
output
about a dozen different strings. Since the hopf documentation refers to
the string as  "Standard 6021 (hopf6021, time and date)" I would argue
the
"6021" should be kept in the description.

All Hopf GPS and DCF77 clocks with a serial interface will emit that
string:
"All hopf units with a serial interface can provide the serial data
string for NTP."
http://www.hopf.com/en/article_en.html#ntpseri

Martin