Cannot compile on Windows 7 64 bits with Visual Studio 2013 community.

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Thu Dec 31 21:02:47 UTC 2015

> jason at azze.org said:
> > "We intend to port to Windows, but that may not land in early releases. The
> > work requires we first sort out the threading code in NTPsec and then review
> > the Windows support and how it is integrated into the code base."
>
> We should be able to build/run without threads.  You need to use numeric IP
> Addresses rather than DNS names and the pool option won't work as designed.
>
> The configure time option is --disable-dns-lookup
>
> I just tried it.  It builds, but still links in libpthread.so
>
> I tried removing PTHREAD from the link line, but it died trying to set the
> stack size.  That shouldn't be hard to fix.

Actually, we now have a better option for running without threads.  There's
an internal swith force_synchronous_dns that replaces the asynchronous
DNS lookups with synchronous ones.  It's used by capture and replay more
in order to force a deterministic order of capture events.

With a little work (a simple enough job that I don't need to be the one to
do it, I think) it should be possible to change the --disable-dns-lookup
option to always use synchronous lookup on hostnames, so the IP-only
restriction is removed at the cost of a small amount of startup lag.

Later, after I deliver replay, I'm going to do a bunch of profiling.
I'm not actually convinced that the async-dns code is worth its
complexity cost in avoided startup lag, and I mean to measure the
difference over a large number of runs to find out.