gdb can't find symbols

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Thu Dec 17 13:40:42 UTC 2015

> I don't know how we should handle debugging with gdb.  I think the normal
> approach is to build with symbols and strip them off after installing.  But
> that's based on a very small sample set.
>
> What do other projects do and/or what do other people expect?

What you describe used to be pretty standard practice, but it's less
common now because the space overhead of always carrying the symbol
tables in the runtime is pretty ignorable on modern hardware. I see a
fair number of projects (especially GNU projects) default to building
with both -g and -O these days.

I don't think there are strong expectations about this any more.
We can do whatever is convenient.