gpsd or native

James Browning jamesb192 at jamesb192.com
Mon Sep 26 08:01:54 UTC 2022

On 2022/09/22 at 1:41:21 PM PDT, John Thurston wrote:
> On 9/22/2022 at 10:43 AM, James Browning wrote:
> > > John Thurston <john.thurston at alaska.gov> wrote:
> > > My question is this: Four years on, is this still a valid reason to
> > > prefer /gpsd/ to using the 127.127.20.0 and 127.127.22.0 reference
> > clock
> > > drivers for GPS and PPS?

> > Support for devices that talk things other than NMEA 0183 and
> > slightly atypical PPS wiring isn't enough.

> That sentence confuses me, James. Was it written as a question? (i.e.
> "gpsd supports these other things. Isn't that enough reason to use it?")

Yes, that was pretty much it. gpsd exists to protect clients
needing info from things like navigation receivers from
the misbehavior of the hardware. To a degree, it can do automatic
configuration of baud rate and parity.

> In my case, the built in reference drivers are handling my desired GPS
> sentences correctly, and my PPS is working just fine. They've been
> running for a few weeks without incident, and delivering a less jittery
> time than my previous installation (using the same GSP module and
> refclocks with ntpd). I'm looking for a compelling reason to change to
> "refclock shm" and gpsd on this new ntpsecd installation.

> But since it has obviously been running for several weeks now, the
> urgency of my question is low. If this remains stable for a few more
> weeks, I'll probably bolt it into my production system as one of the
> time sources.

> > Messages on the mailing list tend to take too long to arrive. I
> > think the delay is up to two months at this point (post through
> > California is faster). We should keep the posts list mirrored.

> Me thinks an email list server which sits on messages for months and
> months is more of a hindrance than a help. What are my other choices to
> talk to people who care about ntpsecd? I haven't looked, is
> comp.protocols.time.ntp still active?

The google group is more active than most of Usenet at this point.
There are also Internet Relay Chat channels at libera.chat #ntp,
#gpsd, and #ntpsec for specific software packages. #ntpsec is
pretty dead at this point, as is freenode.net.