gpsd or native

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Tue Sep 13 19:13:30 UTC 2022

Eric Raymond's HOWTO for a stratum 1 server
<https://www.ntpsec.org/white-papers/stratum-1-microserver-howto/> uses
/gpsd/ to provide the GPS data to ntpsec.

It explains the decision with this:

/If you are already familiar with ntpd and wonder why this recipe uses
gpsd through SHM rather than ntpd’s native refclock 20 GPS driver, the
answer is this: when refclock 20 is configured to use 1PPS, it mixes
in-band time data with 1PPS in a way that causes it to behave badly, and
possibly get rejected as a falseticker, when 1PPS is only occasionally
available./

The history notes on the page indicate it was first published late in
2016, and last updated in the middle of 2018. There has been a lot of
water under the bridge, and many changes to ntpsec since then.

My question is this: Four years on, is this still a valid reason to
prefer /gpsd/ and /refclock shm/ over /refclock nmea/ and /refclock pps/ ?

In my mind, using the /refclock shm/ and also running /gpsd/ is more
complication than relying on the two /refclock/ already available. But
if the latter is prone to unexpected failures, then there are good
reasons to accept the complication of the former.

(Appologies if this is a duplicate message. I have not received my copy
of the message I sent earlier this moth, nor has it appeared in the
web-archives, nor have I received any reply to my query to the
users-owner email address.)

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Department of Administration