Periodic spike in offset for pps

Martin Boissonneault dev at ve2mrx.dyndns.info
Tue May 5 18:24:27 UTC 2020

Hi Doug,

I'm researching a similar issue on my own Pi 3B+. It's also running
ADS-B receivers, and there is a "reset if heard nothing for a while"
"feature" in the dump<freq> decoders it uses. The drop in aviation
traffic causes them to not hear a plane in that period and reset,
causing a CPU spike. But it's not the complete answer. IIRC, turning the
decoders off left a periodic spike visible.

I'm setting up a clean, dedicated Pi 4 just for NTP use, and I'm
recording ntpviz's output for each modification I make and pick the
better modification. I haven't put the GNSS on it yet, but I see no
spike so far. Of course, with a StdDev of ~50uS and offset of ~-2uS, it
might just be too small to see.

Martin