NTP with only GPS/PPS flags PPS as falseticker

Nick Burkitt nick.burkitt at nanotok.com
Fri Mar 20 16:16:26 UTC 2020

Hi Hal.

>[mindist]
>>  I'm guessing that now you config is clean, you no longer need that.
>
>It depends.  Try it and see.
>
>My 0.250 is big enough so that I didn't have to think about it.  Many GPS
>units have really really crappy timing on the serial sentences.  If you get
>the offset dialed in closer (fudge time1 for SHM, I think) then you can use a
>smaller mindist.
That's what I've done, and with mindist set to 0.050, the symptoms I had
observed (GPS marked as falseticker) have gone away. Gary isn't
convinced that we've uncovered the root cause, however, which makes me
want to be diligent in establishing whether or not simply setting
mindist is the right solution.
What's your feeling? Is it reasonable to consider this a solution, or
might we be merely addressing symptoms of some as-yet unidentified
underlying problem?
Thanks,

-Nick