RPI + Adafruit GPS sanity check

Patrick 201905-ntpsec at jslf.app
Fri May 17 05:16:32 UTC 2019

On 2019-05-16 21:33, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> > Or is there a way to have NTP stop serving time when the GPS and other
> > peers aren't in agreement at the resolution of 1 second?
>
> NTP does its best to pick the right time, just give it enough good
> chimers to be able to make a good decision.

I'm reading through Peter Rybaczyk's Expert Network Time Protocol, are
there any better resources that cover NTP topology design?

Is there a way to prevent policy changes? e.g. say one or more upstream
peers decide to smear a leap second, they may win time consensus.

> > > Maybe too short a poll interval on the net.
> >
> > Because of the load on the remote server?
>
> No.

Ok, so use jitter as a guide everywhere. The docs say to use a poll
exponent of 4, but that's just a starting point.

	https://docs.ntpsec.org/latest/assoc.html

Thanks!
Patrick