ntpviz

Paul Theodoropoulos paul at anastrophe.com
Tue Mar 12 19:11:55 UTC 2019

On 3/12/19 11:08, NTPfiend wrote:
> No obvious difference [...but]
Yup - all those tiny tweaks do make tiny differences. But tweaking the
system is half the fun. :)

> Third: ntpstats were slowly moved (hourly cronjob) to another machine
> (an Odroid HC-2) running ntpsec (which compiled easily and quickly).
> This has been running over 24 hours now
> http://www.goldhill.uk/ntpvizplots/index.html and has completely
> solved the problem.   No nasty perfomance hits and the R Pi has
> settled down nicely.

Nice looking results. Ambient temperature fluctuations are now your
biggest challenge. You'll also find that generating hourly or other
sub-daily increments is pretty "lightweight" (in relative terms).  I
generate 1, 3, 6, 12, 24 and 72 hour stats once per hour - which it
takes ntpviz about 45 minutes to iterate through - then the seven day
stats daily at 4am. The one hour stats only take four minutes to
generate however.
> [...but] previously any small offset changes or jitter were rendered
> invisible by the spikes, now much more visible with the much reduced
> range of the y-axes.   I'm wondering what else I will now notice !
You can also change the clip option to deal with the occasional,
inevitable spikes that will still happen (noise in your power, gps loss
of signal, etc).

--
Paul Theodoropoulos
www.anastrophe.com