Crowdfunding critical infrastructure

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Wed Jun 26 13:35:03 UTC 2019

In recent mail on the users list, I said this:

>You're not on IRC or Signal so you don't know; I've been hit
>with some serious medical bills recently due to needing arthroscopic
>surgery for a bone lesion in my ankle.

This has refocused my attention on a problem that has been worryimng
me for years: how we fund developers working on critical Internet
infrastructure when there's no stream of profits attached to it for
them to live on.

Please visit http://loadsharers.net and consider that attempt at a
solution.

If you think it has merit, please take the pledge and spread the word
in technical communities where you have influence.

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be
properly armed."
        -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188