shm refclock

Paul Theodoropoulos paul at anastrophe.com
Sat Apr 6 23:21:50 UTC 2019

gpsd needs to start before ntpd when using shm refclock.

Here's my systemd startups:

GPSD:
Description=GPS (Global Positioning System) Daemon
Before=timeservice.service
Requires=timeservice.service

[Service]
Type=oneshot
EnvironmentFile=-/etc/default/gpsd
ExecStart=/usr/local/sbin/gpsd $GPSD_OPTIONS $OPTIONS $DEVICES
ExecStartPost=/usr/local/bin/sched.gpsd
ExecStartPost=/bin/sleep 5
RemainAfterExit=yes

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Timeservice:
[Unit]
Description=Manage time service daemons
BindsTo=gpsd.service

[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/etc/init.d/timeservice start
ExecStop=/etc/init.d/timeservice stop
RemainAfterExit=yes

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

If I restart my RPI, it comes up fine with those startups.

On 4/6/2019 16:04 PM, dropkick23 at gmail.com wrote:
> when using shm reflcock gpsd needs to start after ntpd.  I tried adding
> After=ntpd.service to gpsd.service.  but still getting error in ntpd.log
> about not being able to open shm.  If I start by hand
> systemctl start ntpd.service followed by systemctl start gpsd.service,
> them all is good.
>
> Thanks Fred

Paul Theodoropoulos
www.anastrophe.com