Leap seconds

Paul Theodoropoulos paul at anastrophe.com
Sun Jan 14 20:33:03 UTC 2018

I am confused about leapseconds. My understanding is that this confusion
is not an unusual state. :)

I'm running a Raspberry Pi 1 Raspian Stretch Stratum one server, built
to the spec of the Stratum-1-Microserver HOWTO on the ntpsec.org site.
The example/suggested ntp.conf file in that document makes no mention of
leapseconds. https://docs.ntpsec.org/latest/ntp_conf.html lists the
leapfile directive, but the ntp.conf manpage does not, only mentioning
it in regard to crypto functions. Though both mention the
leapsmearinterval directive, making clear not to run that on a public
server.

Among the tools included with the NTPsec suite is ntpleapfetch, which
would imply (to me at least) that this is a task that should be
performed - though I'm also unclear on appropriate intervals. Perform it
one minute before midnight on June 30 and Dec 31? Check monthly on the
rare possibility of a leapsec at some other time?

So, I'm confused. Should I employ ntpleapfetch from cron and include the
leapfile directive in my ntp.conf? Or is it best to exclude all of this
on a public NTPsec server?

I'm interested in conforming to best-practices.

--
Paul Theodoropoulos
www.anastrophe.com