Extremely inexpensive gps modules

Paul Theodoropoulos paul at anastrophe.com
Thu Aug 16 18:26:39 UTC 2018

On 8/12/18 17:47, Paul Theodoropoulos wrote:
>  be able to learn more after the USB-TTL adapter I ordered arrives, so
> I can run the ublox uCenter software which is only available on
> Windows. I'm not going to try taking the lid off.
>
> There's no evidence that the 'battery' (or more likely 'super' cap) on
> the package actually  is connected to anything. It seems to lose
> everything on a power-cycle.
Followup. Much probing in uCenter, no configuration will 'take' - set
stationary mode, survey-in, blah blah - all lost at the next powercycle,
no evidence that almanac/ephemeris data is saved, so it's a fifteen
minute slog at each startup. Blech.

Was getting pretty poor performance in the original build on the Pi Zero
W, so switched the board to an existing RPI 3B+, dramatic improvement:

https://imgur.com/a/H0t8D9n

So, pretty clearly the Pi Zero W, as attractive and tiny and inexpensive
as it is, is not a great platform for NTP. Well, in absolute terms sure,
it's an order of magnitude better than relying on getting time only over
the WAN. But with a base difference in cost of only $25 for an RPi 3 B+,
it's not worth bothering. Use the Zero W for some other task.

Note, I did apply some of my personal favorite fine-tunings - set up
realtime partitioning, pin gpsd and ntpd to their own cpu's, but they
only give tiny, incremental improvements - nothing even visible in these
graphs.

--
Paul Theodoropoulos
www.anastrophe.com