Extremely inexpensive gps modules

Paul Theodoropoulos paul at anastrophe.com
Thu Aug 9 02:42:31 UTC 2018

On 7/10/2018 11:59 AM, Paul Theodoropoulos wrote:
> I found this unit about a half hour ago and sprung for it.
> https://ebay.to/2ukPWHe
> I'll have to wire up the PPS, but I'm willing to give it a go,
> particularly on something that cheap. If I kill it - oh well! No
> gotchas in the listing details that I can see, other than possibility
> it won't have a battery soldered on, but that can be overcome as well.
>
> Yeah, I may have to wait a while for it. I'll live!

Finally received the 'NEO M8N' module. Wish I'd boned up on counterfeits
in advance, I could have avoided the whole purchase. ublox uses digital
tag serial numbers on the chips, *not* QR codes, which are clearly
visible in the auction's photos, and on my device.

The QR code identifies it as a NEO 6M, but who knows, maybe the
internals are functionally M8N, so I'll still play around with it to see
what's what, in any case.

I'm no spring chicken, I really should have known better! At least the
too-good-to-be-true price really was dirt cheap, so the pain is only to
my pride, not my wallet.

--
Paul Theodoropoulos
www.anastrophe.com