Problem with GPSD refclock

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Thu Jan 26 03:11:00 UTC 2017

Yo Rich!

On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 18:57:08 -0800
Rich Wales <richw at richw.org> wrote:

> Hi.  I'm trying ntpsec-0.9.6+195 2017-01-18T11:59:53Z on an Ubuntu
> 16.04.1 LTS Server system with a GPS reference clock managed by gpsd.

The GPS/JSON refclock never really worked.  I have been thinking
about fixing it for ntpsec.

> The following works just fine under ntpd 4.2.8p4 at 1.3265-o:

Not really, it had some nasty issues taht will byte you.  It will
seem to work, but when you turn your back...

> refclock gpsd prefer unit 0 mode 1 minpoll 3 maxpoll 6 stratum 0
> refid GPS

I'll be sure to check on that, prolly next week.

> What can people recommend I try at this point to help
> determine what the problem is?

Convert to the SHM clock.  The GPS clock is less accurate and for systems
that do not have SHM support.