✘ invalid escape sequence '\S'

Matt Selsky Matthew.Selsky at twosigma.com
Tue Oct 1 04:14:05 UTC 2024

On Mon, Sep 30, 2024 at 06:09:28PM -0700, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:

> I'm now getting a lot of this when building git head:
>
> [405/460] Compiling build/main/pylib/__pycache__/agentx_packet.cpython-312.pyo
> <unknown>:1: SyntaxWarning: invalid escape sequence '\S'
> <unknown>:1: SyntaxWarning: invalid escape sequence '\S'

Hi Gary,

I think I found the issue in the python 3.12 changelog. Strings now emit a warning if they contain invalid escape sequences (like regular expressions).  We now need to mark these as raw strings.

Please see if https://gitlab.com/NTPsec/ntpsec/-/merge_requests/1404 fixes this issue for you.

If that doesn't fix it,  can you please share your waf configure/build flags and the full configure/build log?

Cheers,
-Matt