What next?

Hal Murray halmurray at sonic.net
Tue Mar 19 02:20:28 UTC 2024

James Browning said:
>> I think we should split ntpd into several independant programs.
>> More in another message.
> I gave up on that notion; I lacked the patience to do it.

I think we can take small steps.  Or at least some of them.

> Yeah, the IETF NTP WG shot down the notion of NTP alternative port.

It wasn't the NTP WG -- they had a draft RFC ready to go.  The group that
vetoed it was the group in charge of rationing port assignments.

[testing config file]
> I think somewhere in the middle might be a program that takes config files
> and dumps them into some format that is easy to eyeball and machine parse.

Internally, there is a parse tree.  But it doesn't contain the comments.

I'm not interested in that, but if you want to work on it, it might be a
useful utility.

[testing FIPS]
> None of the CI runners support FIPS140-2 at the moment. I don't know how to
> make them either.

There is a HOWTO-OpenSSL that tells you how to build OpenSSL from source.
Adding enable-fips to the configure step builds/tests/installs the FIPS
library too.

The recent FIPS discussion has a recipe for getting libssl to use it.  I
haven't tried that step yet.

>> I'd like a script that checks the certificates.  When do they expire?
> That sounds like a simple wrapper around 'openssl x509' would work.

I think it will be something simple like that after we do it.  I've poked
around a few times but never ended up with anything clean.  The openssl
command has a blizzard of options.

This just got more important for me.  I fatfingered renewing a certificate and
a KE server stopped working.  [I did the certbot step but forgot to copy the
new cert/key over to /etc/ntp/.]