testing performance

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Wed Aug 7 02:05:13 UTC 2024

Yo Hal!

On Tue, 06 Aug 2024 17:48:11 -0700
Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> [From https://gitlab.com/NTPsec/ntpsec/-/merge_requests/1399]
>
> Gary said:
>
> > But I agree with you that howto run non-root needs to be
> > documented, and I would also like tests in ntpd to verify the
> > needed CAPS to run as designed.
>
> I expect it will crash if it doesn't have the appropriate caps.
> Maybe blunder on after an error message if it can't open something
> needed by a refclock.

Add an option, people will use it.  Since this one will be hard to use
properly, the documentation and error messages need to be very good.

> > Then we can test how bad the performance really is.
>
> What do you have in mind?

I would just look at jitter.  I expect it to be very bad.

> I'm scheming to setup a chain of servers to see if the PLLs are
> stable.

Servers, hosting containers of serrvers.  With ntpd running in the server
in the containr.  I have no idea how to tell the container to allow
adj_time() to work.