Is python2 dead?

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Mon Sep 11 20:06:51 UTC 2023

Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:
> Really really dead?  Or maybe just hiding in some dark corner?

Python 2 was end-of-lifed on 1 Jan 2020.  It looks pretty dead from where I'm sitting,
but I'm aware that people who run RHEL have a different opynion.

> Should we drop support for python2 as part of the next release?
> Or announce in the next release that we will drop it as part of the following
> release?

The policy I havee for my projects these days is that I leave the poly
machinery in place untiil I want to do something Python 3 specific, then
I drop it.

I would be OK with your second alternative.