Time for a release?

Matthew Selsky Matthew.Selsky at twosigma.com
Tue Oct 31 03:35:53 UTC 2023

On Sun, Oct 29, 2023 at 10:50:56PM -0700, Hal Murray via devel wrote:

> The last time this was suggested, I encouraged waiting until we fixed mssntp.  Well, I think we have it fixed but we haven't found anybody to test it.

Sounds good. Can you please update NEWS.adoc with mssntp and other news?

> Time for lots of testing.  And documentation checking/cleanup.

What sort of testing did you have in mind?  Any specific doc cleanup?

> Does anybody have any features that should or must go in or bugs we should fix?
> (I haven't looked through issues yet.)

Here are the open issues the caught my eye:
https://gitlab.com/NTPsec/ntpsec/-/issues/806
https://gitlab.com/NTPsec/ntpsec/-/issues/802 (is this resolved with our latest FIPS changes, and do we have an environment to test it?)

Do you think these or any others should delay the release?

> What is the policy on ntpq documentation?  We have tuned the code for use with our version of ntpd, but it still mostly(?) talks to the old Mills/classic version.  I noticed lots of references to multicast and broadcast in the man page.  We removed the code that supported that stuff ages ago.  The *cast references are now clutter if you are interested in our code, but might be relevant if you are looking at an old old system.  Should we leave the *cast documentation in or clean it out?

Are we able to use our ntpq to probe *cast fields on other ntp daemons that support it? If so, leave it in.

> I have 3 hacks that were used to debug talking to Samba.  Is a subdir under attic a reasonable place for them?

Sure.

Cheers,
-Matt