New SHM layout from gpsd

Hal Murray halmurray at sonic.net
Fri Jan 20 10:11:29 UTC 2023

The 31 bit idea seems strange/ugly to me.  How did you decide to do it that
way?

Why is it better than 32 unsigned bits?  Is there some case that works with 31
bits that breaks with 32?

I think there is a case that works for 32 unsigned that doesn't work for 31.
Consider code that gets updated to use 64 bit time_t but they forget to update
the SHM interface.  That will pick up the 32nd bit and do the right think for
another 68 years.

--------

An alternative would be to make the new high-bit slots into 64 bits and make
the rule use-them, ignore the old slot.  That would eat 2 more dummy words.