New Defects reported by Coverity Scan for ntpsec

Hal Murray halmurray at sonic.net
Tue Feb 7 04:08:21 UTC 2023

>> But then Coverity will barf (DEADCODE) at all the defaults.
> What purpose do they still have?

None.  But we have -Wswitch-default so it will barf if we remove them.

They would be useful if an illegal value was passed in.  At least in the case
that started this thread, the values are coming out of compile time data and
I'm reasonably sure I have the type checking set up right so I'm not really
worried about bogus values.  I'd rather leave the default in with an error
message and tell Coverity it's OK.

>> I think I'm willing to fix them.  Is there any way to run Coverity
>> without waiting for it to get around to scanning our code?
> I think coverity grabs every commit, and does not wait long.

I don't get the Coverity mail.  How do I fix that?  The bottom of the mail you
forwarded has a link for you to "manage Coverity Scan email notifications" so
I assume there is some recipe to sign up.  I poked around a bit but didn't
find it.  Do you remember how you signed up?

Can you check to see how long it was between when I pushed that commit and
when the mail arrived?  Here is the pipeline mail from that push.