Certificate geekery

Hal Murray halmurray at sonic.net
Fri Dec 8 04:26:51 UTC 2023

Thanks.

> If that's a thing you want to do on your system, you can. IMHO, it's not
> something that we particularly need to promote, nor would I find it
> desirable operationally. If my NTP server changes their CA provider,  then I
> won't be able to talk to them any more until I take manual action  to adjust
> the pin.

I was assuming there would be a script that would do the work, say run as a
cron job.  Probably send you email so you can do the actual edit.

> Yes, that's how the CA ecosystem works. That is absolutely a threat.  Keep in
> mind that if a CA gets caught doing that, they will get the CA  death
> penalty, ending their money printing business.

Some CAs are run by governments.  That area gets messy.

There was a news item recently (month or 3??) about a Russian social media
server located in a German cloud provider that got MITM-ed.  The bad guys got
a Let's Encrypt certificate.  They could do that by just stealing the IP
Address for a few minutes which only takes one insider at the hosting service.

Researchers Uncover Wiretapping of XMPP-Based Instant Messaging Service
  https://thehackernews.com/2023/10/researchers-uncover-wiretapping-of-xmpp.htm

I can't tell how paranoid to be.  It would be nice if we didn't depend on all
the root certificates.